Professor Roos is passionate about innovation, which is her lead motive in research and life. Her current research interest in leadership and diversity in international arbitration. For example, she recently published a practical checklist to help retain diverse talent in arbitration: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/hannaroos_diversity-checklist-for-international-arbitration-activity-6820309441104134144-fFeO, as well as chapters on Award challenges in Butterworths Challenges in Arbitration (LexisNexis).
She has also sat on the CPR arm of the ICCA-CPR New York City Bar working group whose draft Cybersecurity Protocol won the 2018 GAR Best Development Award.
Publications in dispute resolution
- Roos H, How to Manage Work-Life Balance in Context of First Arbitral Appointments
- Roos H, a practical checklist to help retain diverse talent in international arbitration, published as three Practical Law Arbitration blogs:
- Part 1: https://lnkd.in/e8g-cYv
- Part 2: https://lnkd.in/exNrhXt
- Part 3: https://lnkd.in/efCFkZi.
- Roos H, Clifford QC, a chapter on section 67 Award challenges under the 1996 Arbitration Act, Butterworths Challenges in Arbitration (https://www.lexisnexis.co.uk/store/products/butterworths-challenges-in-arbitration-challenges-against-arbitrators-awards-and-enforcement-in-england-and-wales-skuuksku9781474306812CTAIL74338/details).
- Roos H, Puschmann H, a chapter on section 68 Award challenges under the 1996 Arbitration Act, Butterworths Challenges in Arbitration (https://www.lexisnexis.co.uk/store/products/butterworths-challenges-in-arbitration-challenges-against-arbitrators-awards-and-enforcement-in-england-and-wales-skuuksku9781474306812CTAIL74338/details).
- Clifford QC, Roos H and Scogings E, “Arbitrator challenges: the long view”, New Law Journal (https://www.lw.com/thoughtLeadership/arbitrator-challenges-long-view).
- Assistance with book update of A Commentary on the LCIA Arbitration Rules 2014 by Clifford QC at al (Sweet & Maxwell).
- Overview of select country chapters for Delos Guide to Arbitration Practice reviewing close to 70 jurisdictions, published in 2018 and 2021.
- Clifford QC, Roos H and Price R, Contribution to the IBA-UNIDROIT compendium of case law and arbitral practice to support UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts 2016, published at IBA Annual Conference in Rome in October 2018.
- Roos H and Archie J, “Call for Cybersecurity Guidelines in International Arbitration”, Practical Law Arbitration, November 2017. ·Roos H, Browne O and McLaren R, “Pharma and Biotech: Key Trends and Legal Risks”, Latham.London, November 2017, circulated by the Financial Times to attendees of the FT Global Pharma and Biotech Conference 2017.
- Roos H and Bakhda K, “Hong Kong Permits Third Party Funding of Arbitration”, Latham.London, June 2017.
- Lamb S and Roos H, “Arbitration In London: Developments Past and Future”, International Newsletter of the Israeli Institute of Commercial Arbitration, March 2017.
- Parker J, Roos H and Pizzey H, “Competition Appeal Tribunal Refuses Interim Relief in Pharma Pricing Case”, Latham.London, February 2017.
- Lamb S, Roos H and Bakhda K, “Singapore to Permit Third Party Funding of International Arbitration”, Latham.London, January 2017.
- Roos H and Archie J, “Cyber Security Issues in Arbitration, Practical Law Arbitration”, Practical Law Arbitration, December 2016.
- Roos H, “ICC Court Issues Guidance on Arbitrator Conflicts of Interest and Time Limits for Awards”, L&W International Arbitration Newsletter, July 2016.
- “Singapore to Permit Third Party Funding of International Arbitration”, Latham & Watkins blog, January 2017.
- Roos H, “Venezuela Not Immune Against Enforcement in Gold Reserve Dispute”, L&W International Arbitration Newsletter, July 2016.
- Gaertner C, Roos H and Hyde A, “Anti-Suit Awards Are Compatible With the Original Brussels I Regulation” L&W International Arbitration Newsletter, October 2015.
- Clifford P, Roos H and Andrew A, “The New LCIA Guidance Notes: Useful Reading for Parties”, L&W International Arbitration Newsletter, October 2015.
- Browne O and Roos H, “Change to Rules of Service Out of the United Kingdom Following the Recast Brussels Regulation”, L&W London Disputes Newsletter, March 2015.
- Hull J, Roos H and Andrew A, “Obtaining Evidence in the English Court for Use in Another EU Member State”, Practical Law Company, Jul 2014.
- Roos H, “The AAA and ICDR Offer a New Optional Arbitral Appeal Process and Update the Commercial Arbitration Rules”, L&W International Arbitration Newsletter, Jan 2014.
- Roos H, “The Supreme Court of Lithuania Seeks Clarification from the European Court of Justice in Gazprom v. Lithuania”, L&W International Arbitration Newsletter, Jan 2014.
- Roos H, “Tribunal Dismisses the ICSID Case KT Asia v. Kazakhstan for Absence of an Investment”, L&W International Arbitration Newsletter, Jan 2014.
- Roos H, “Institution Updates: Jerusalem Arbitration Centre Opens and the Permanent Court of Arbitration Hosts Its First Arbitration in Hong Kong”, L&W International Arbitration Newsletter, Jan 2014.
Peer reviewed publications in pharma and biotech (under maiden name Hyry)
- Hyry HI, Cox TM, Roos JC. Brexit and rare diseases: big risk, bigger opportunity? Curr Med Res Opin. Jan 2017.
- Hyry HI, Cox TM, Roos JC. Saving orphan drug legislations: misconceptions and clarifications. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res. 2016;16(1):111-7.
- Hyry HI, Roos JC, Cox TM. Orphan drugs: expensive yet necessary. QJM. 2016 May;109(5):361.
- Hyry HI, Manuel J, Cox TM, Roos JC. Compassionate use of orphan drugs. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2015 Aug 21;10:100.
- Hyry HI, Roos JC, Cox TM. Orphan drugs: expensive yet necessary. QJM. 2015 Apr;108(4):269-72.
- Hyry HI, Stern AD, Cox TM, Roos JC. Limits on use of health economic assessments for rare diseases. QJM. 2014 Mar;107(3):241-5.
- Hyry HI, Roos JC, Manuel J, Cox TM. The legal imperative for treating rare disorders. Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2013 Sep 6;8:135.
- Hyry HI, Roos JC, Cox TM. Orphan drug pricing may warrant a competition law investigation. BMJ. 2010 Nov 16;341:c6471.
- Invited speaker at ICC YAF in Zurich on witness evidence, 29 April 2022.
- Invited speaker at Mute Off regarding my Diversity Checklist for International Arbitration, 28 October 2021.
- Invited speaker at Nordic Arbitration Day on “Coulda Woulda Shoulda” in international arbitration, 7-8 October 2021.
- Invited speaker on utilising social media to promote profile as arbitration lawyer, Quadrant Chambers and ICC Young Arbitrators Forum event, June 2021.
- Invited speaker on cross-examination at the ICCA Skills Training Workshop, Copenhagen, April 2019.
- Invited cybersecurity presentations at Cambridge University, November 2018 and 2019.
- Invited lecture on cyber security and arbitration to 300-person audience at the Spanish Club of Arbitration Annual Congress in Madrid in June 2018.
- Invited moderator of seminar between Young Arbitration Club Finland (YACF), Young Arbitrators Sweden (YAS) and the Russian Arbitration Association 40 (RAA40) in association with the Helsinki International Arbitration Day in May 2018.
- Invited panellist at Paris Arbitration Week 2018 regarding cyber security issues in arbitration in April 2018.
- Invited talk on cybersecurity in arbitration at Arbitration PSL networking group (ASK) in London at Clifford Chance in April 2018.
- Invited chair of a panel organised by Swiss Arbitral Association below 40 and ICDR Young and International in Bern, Switzerland, in September 2017 concerning a Swiss Federal Tribunal decision impacting arbitration.
- Invited “next generation” speaker on legal implications of Brexit at the European Business Leaders Convention in Helsinki, June 2017.
- Organised and chaired a diversity panel event featuring Deutsche Bank, Unilever, KKR, Blackstone Chambers and others in London in October 2016.
- Invited speaker on cyber security and arbitration to approximately 500-person audience at Helsinki International Arbitration Day in May 2016.
- Invited lectures in medicine and law since 2006, including in Paris, Cambridge and Haifa.